Kolasnittar (Swedish caramel cookies or biscuits or shortbread) are some of the easiest and fastest sweet things you can bake! Now when we enter the christmas season I wanted to try out a slightly different version: saffron caramel cookies! It turned out that saffron in combination with caramel was really delicious.
Here are some other ways to spice it up if you get tired of saffron:
- Chai spice mix
- 175 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100 g butter
- 100 g raw sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 2 tbsp syrup
- ½ g saffron
- Heat the oven to 175°C (350°F)
- Soften the butter in the microwave for a few seconds
- Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and vanilla sugar in a bowl
- Mix the saffron with the butter before adding it to the bowl with the syrup
- Use a hand mixer with the dough hooks and mix everything until it is possible to combine it to a ball with your hands
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Divide the dough in two and spread them out in two lines across the sheet.
- Carefully roll them out and even out the edges.
- Bake for 12 min, take it out of the oven and start cutting the cookies while it is still hot. Make the cuts slightly slanted to get the classical look of the Swedish kolasnittar
Check out some of our other sweet recipes and Christmas recipes